Home

May 17--  Four area school systems are cooperating to open a night school for high school age students who have dropped out of school and still want to get a diploma.

At its May board meeting Monday night,the Montgomery County school board agreed to participate in the school starting this coming school term at the Southeastern Early College and Career Academy (SECCA) in Vidalia, according to School Superintendent Hugh Kight.

"We're trying to give our students a second chance if they've dropped out and want an opportunity to graduate. The Coastal Plains Education High School will be housed at our SECCA building and Toombs County, Vidalia, Treutlen County and Montgomery County have partnered to get this going.  We're really excited about it.  It will be a night school, Monday through Thursday, four p.m. till nine p.m.  Students who have to work during the day can go to school at night.  We're going back through the last three years for students who have dropped out and we're giving them another opportunity go graduate," he said. 

Vidalia School Superintendent Dr. Garrett Wilcox says the school is a subsidiary of a night school system in North Georgia.  He says the $50,000 upfront fee is being shared with Vidalia and Toombs splitting 70% and Treutlen and Montgomery splitting the remaining 30%.  He says the systems will be reimbursed by the state.

Five other South Georgia high school are also participating including Metter, Ludowici, Jesup, Brunswick and Valdosta.

"It's another attempt for us to reduce our dropout rates and give these young people a chance at a high school diploma which can make a big difference in their lives," Dr. Wilcox said.

 

 

 

 

Advertise With Us [moved to banner system 7-28-17]
Weekly Forecast Details

Latest Local Photo Submited

Current Site Stats
  • Page Speed 0.83 Seconds

    Provided by iJoomla SEO