Print
Category: A - Newsbreaks
Hits: 3459

January 13--  An early morning fire killed a Vidalia man.

Vidalia Assistant Fire Chief Brian Sikes says firemen responded to a fire at 311 East Jenkins Street in Vidalia just after five a.m. Friday.

"We arrived on the scene and found the house fully involved.  Our firemen went in and suppressed the fire and found the body in the room.  The State Fire Marshall's office was informed and was on the scene.  We found there is no foul play and believe the fire was started by a space heater in the front living room," he says.

Toombs County Coroner Ron Hall says he believes the victim is 58-year-old Otis King, Jr. and there were no other people in the house at the time of the fire.  Chief Sikes says the body has been sent to the State Crime Laboratory in Savannah for positive identification.

He also says the death is a reminder for people to check their home heating equipment.  

"This is a reminder that any heating source we use is made for indoor use and not outdoor use and that smoke detectors are working properly.  This just opens our eyes up a little bit to check things around the house and make sure they're working like they are supposed to," Sikes says.