Use the form below to filter for articles containing certain key words. Use the calendar on the right for articles published during a certain Month, Year.

December 6--  Smoking in bed led to a fire early Saturday in Lyons which killed two people, according to Lyons Fire Chief Daryl Corley.

The chief says the fire started in the bed of 84-year-old Charley Johnson.  His wife, 75-year-old Annie Pearl Johnson, died of smoke inhalation in another bedroom, according to Corley.

The wood frame house is located at 145 South 11th Street not far from the Lyons Fire Station.  Corley says the call came in at 7;14 a.m.  "The room that the man was in was fully engulfed when we got there.  We extinguished the fire and put it out.  The rest of the house had extensive heat and smoke damage, it was an awful thing," he said.

Three other people who were in the house escaped the fire.  Fireman found the body of the couple's dog in the bed next to Mrs. Johnson who had just come home from the hospital the night before.  Corley said the Chihuahua died of smoke inhalation, too.