August 22-- John Neff from the Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency provides the following information on potential bad weather heading our way this weekend.
"Tropical Storm Irene became Hurricane Irene this morning and is forecast to travel in a path which could possibly affect the Montgomery County area this weekend. The National Weather Service long range forecast currently shows Irene possibly making a landfall on the Georgia coast sometime in the early morning hours on Saturday.
Everyone in Montgomery County should monitor this situation closely and begin preparing for the possibility of severe weather this weekend. Some things to consider are:
- Review your family emergency plan. Communications such as telephones and cell phones may be affected. Make plans for your family to communicate.
- Check your personal emergency kit or make one. Recommended items for a kit are listed at: http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html
- Prepare for the possibility of electric service being interrupted for an extended period.
- Fill plastic jugs with drinking water. Fill bathtubs with water for cleaning and toilet flushing.
- If high winds impact our area, roads may become impassable for a period. Be prepared to shelter at home until travel can resume.