SB SCHOOL SHOOTING
A vigil service was held in San Bernardino, California Monday night following the day's deadly shooting at a school. Three people are dead, including a teacher and an 8-year-old student, in an apparent murder-suicide at North Park Elementary School. The suspected gunman was identified as 53-year-old Riverside resident Cedric Anderson, who went to the school armed with a .357 revolver and opened fire on his wife, 53-year-old Karen Elaine Smith, said San Bernardino Police. Anderson and Smith were found dead in a special needs classroom that serves the first through fourth grades. Anderson entered the classroom "without saying anything" before he opened fire, according to police. There were a total of 15 students and two aides in the classroom at the time, he added.
Sec. of State Rex Tillerson echoed statements by the White House Press Secretary at the G7 Foreign Ministers meeting in Italy when he said “It is clear to all of us that the reign of the Asaad family is coming to an end.” Tillerson said it was up to Russia whether or not the country wanted to align with western powers and help end the suffering of the Syrian people, or align with Asaad.
--The White House is walking back a suggestion from press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday that President Donald Trump may take more military action in Syria in response to additional barrel bombings of civilians. “The answer is, if you gas a baby, if you put a barrel bomb into innocent people, I think you will see a response from this president,” Spicer told reporters this afternoon. “Make no mistake: he will act.” But a White House aide told ABC News later that "nothing has changed in our posture."
--The slimmest majority of Americans in a new ABC News/Washington Post poll supports the Trump administration’s missile strike on Syria, with strongly partisan opinions, muted appetite for further action, little confidence it’ll achieve the desired effect – and majority concerns about the impact on U.S. relations with Russia.
--Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is due to travel to Moscow after the two-day G-7 meeting, and the group hopes to send a unified message that Russia must end its support for Syrian President Bashar Assad in the wake of a deadly chemical weapons attack last week.
--The CEO of United sent an email to employees Monday saying the passenger seen being dragged off a plane in Chicago was "disruptive and belligerent." Munoz said his company's "employees followed established procedures for dealing with situations like this." Videos posted to social media show a man being forcibly removed from a United flight by law enforcement in Chicago. United Airlines told ABC News the man was removed because it needed to send a four-person crew to Louisville, Kentucky, Sunday evening to avoid canceling future flights.
--The airline previously said that the flight was overbooked. That was incorrect, according to the new information from United. One of the law enforcement officers involved in the incident was placed on leave effective Monday. The Chicago Department of Aviation said the officer's actions were not in accordance with standard operating procedure and are not condoned by the department. United’s CEO posted a statement on Monday, apologizing to all the passenger and says the airline is reaching out the customer removed from the plane. The Department of Transportation is looking into the incident.
"I have decided.. it is time for me to step down as Alabama's governor," says Robert Bentley, shortly after he pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor campaign violations...The announcement came on the first day of impeachment hearings against Bentley... those charges came up during an investigation into allegations Bentley used his office to cover up an alleged affair with a top aide.
Egyptian Christians buried their dead on Monday, a day after at least 44 people were killed in twin suicide bombings at Palm Sunday services in two separate cities.
More than 400 tips have come into authorities in Wisconsin as they try to find Joseph Jakubowski, who's wanted for making threats on camera, and shown mailing a letter to the White House. The Rock County Sheriff’s Office says Jakubowski should be considered armed and dangerous and the FBI is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. A 161-page, handwritten manifesto mailed to President Trump by Jakubowski who allegedly robbed a Wisconsin gun shop and who police say is bent on starting a "revolution" has reached the White House, authorities in Wisconsin confirmed.
Almost two years later, the South Carolina man who shot and killed nine people at a black church in Charleston pleaded guilty Monday. Dylann Roof has already been convicted and sentenced to death on federal charges and now he has pleaded guilty to state murder charges. The plea agreement clears the way for Roof to enter federal custody where he will wait to be put to death.
TX VOTER ID LAW
A judge ruled for a second time Monday that Texas' strict voter ID law was intentionally crafted to discriminate against minorities, which follows another court finding evidence of racial gerrymandering in how Republican lawmakers drew the state's election maps. The latest ruling by U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos of Corpus Christi comes more than two years after she likened the ballot-box rules in Texas, known as SB 14, to a "poll tax" meant to suppress minority voters. She is still holding to that conclusion after an appeals court asked her to go back and re-examine her findings. The Texas law requires voters to show one of seven forms of identification at the ballot box.
FL SHARK BITE
A 10 year old Florida Girl is recovering from what officials say was likely a shark bite. The child was transported by medical helicopter from Melbourne beach in Brevard County to Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando with a deep gash on her leg. Earlier, a woman was bitten on the hand, but refused medical treatment at the scene. This all comes a day after nearby Coca-beach was temporarily closed when life guards spotted sharks around the pier.
Wells Fargo, one of the nation’s largest banks, said Monday that it’s clawing back $69 million from former chief John Stumpf and $67 million from another executive involved in the scandal over fake accounts. An internal investigation said the bank's culture and management became distorted. Sales goals were too high and increasingly untenable, putting "pressure on employees to sell unwanted or unneeded products to customers" and to open more than two million unauthorized accounts. Investigators faulted Stumpf for failing "to appreciate the seriousness of the problem" and "moved too slowly to address it."